Don't Take Others' Actions Personally

I've been watching a lot of psych videos in an effort to prepare myself mentally & emotionally for my return to work. As I work with teenagers, I have to recognize that many of them, not I, are suffering from low self esteem.

These people do not know anything about me other than what I display. It is my job to display confidence. Such confidence that shows I can laugh at myself. Confidence that does not engage with them when they insist on being negative. Confidence that allows me to not involve myself in their lives beyond the doors of the classroom/school.

All of this calls for me to step away from my usual go to responses. This year, I am forcing myself to be different. I am forcing myself to not immediately speak when spoken to but rather to think first. Pausing before expressing is important. Sometimes, it even takes away the need to speak. I do not have to explain or justify my rightfulness. This rightfulness is confidence in my abilities, as well as my knowledge.

Since teens are often moody and lacking in knowledge of why their emotions are causing them to act or respond in a negative way, I, as an experienced adult, will display empathy. I will not take their actions or speech personally. I will not give them a second thought because they probably do not mean to be negative but if they do, that is their problem. Not mine. I refuse to take ownership of anyone elses problems.

Comments

Popular Posts