I Simply Don't Know How to Reach Them

We are reading, I should say, they are supposed to be listening to the audio version of the Masque of the Red Death. Classic Poe, right?

It, however, cannot complete with audio that they have playing in their ears. This school allows the phones BUT they are supposed to NOT have them on. If you tell them to put them away, they are supposed to do so on the first request. Or, the teacher takes the phone. That does not work with the spawn of Satan. I am at the point where I want to invest in a WIFI jammer.

Honestly, I can't compete. I can't compete with the disgusting lyrics of these rappers and the videos of strippers. I can not compete with the foul language. The desire to swear so profusely that it is for simple shock value.

I prepared for this unit with all the hope of conveying the understanding of allegories and symbolism and just how exciting Poe really was. Every day I come into this school with the hope that I can make a difference. I really do not think that I am. Their behavior continues to degrade. They talk loudly while I attempt to teach. I made a recording of myself & them just to see how I and they sound.

I sound defeated. I sound unhappy. I sound depressed. I sound stern. Meanwhile, they laugh and joke and remain on their phones.

Why do I stay?

I need the money. I need the job. It has become a job not a career to love. I am scheming to actually have surgery just so I can get some time off. I literally am going to go under the knife just to get a break. I am going to time it so that it happens after Spring Break. But I'm gonna get a way out of here and still get paid.

Comments

Popular Posts